Kevin Kuntz, P.E.
ISO Assistant Vice President, Risk Decision Services
Past Chief and Active Firefighter, North Brunswick Fire Department
Active Firefighter, Montgomery Township Fire Department
As an assistant vice president with ISO’s Risk Decision Services, Kevin Kuntz leads the Risk Engineering and Technical Support & Training groups. He serves as the lead technical resource and director of national policy on a variety of commercial lines underwriting, loss control, and specific risk engineering subjects. He also has primary responsibility for ISO’s Specific Commercial Property Evaluation Schedule (SCOPES), a manual used to assure the consistent analysis of properties that ISO surveys.
Kevin Kuntz at the pump panel for truck 3 of the North Brunswick Fire Department.
- Firefighter I and II certification
- Fire official certification
- Fire prevention inspector — high-hazard certification
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) designation in fire protection (in Pennsylvania)
The fire service has been an integral part of Kuntz’s life, with much of his career in North Brunswick, New Jersey. In 1975, he joined the North Brunswick Fire Department as a firefighter. In 1980, he achieved the rank of lieutenant and progressed to captain, deputy chief, and then chief in 1990. Kuntz has also served in the North Brunswick Fire Prevention Bureau as captain, deputy chief, and then chief in 1988. He has answered the call of duty professionally and willingly in North Brunswick — a township with a population of more than 38,000 and about 800 fire calls a year. Over those years, Kuntz’s accomplishments are many:
- started the fire department fire investigation team
- developed the design for a major fire station building addition
- worked on the task group that developed department standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- developed and implemented the department’s preplan procedure
- served as chairman of several new-apparatus committees
- served as the hazardous materials and radiological defense officer for the township Office of Emergency Management
- served as president and trustee for the fire department
Kuntz’s prolific fire service career has continued both in North Brunswick, where he still is active, participating in duty crew once a week in the 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. shift, and in the Montgomery Township Fire Department in New Jersey, where he has served as an active firefighter since 2002. Kevin still answers the call of duty in Montgomery — a township with a population of about 26,000 and 300 fire calls a year. It’s in his blood. And he brings that passion and fire to his job at ISO every day.